10 Gift Ideas for Tea Lovers
October 24, 2013
If you wanna buy a gift for tea lover, here we have a list of best 10 gift ideas for tea lovers. The gift ideas in this post are related to Japanese tea drinking and Japanese tea ceremony.
Tea ceremony or sado (茶道) is a traditional way of preparing, serving and drinking matcha (green tea). Sado is strongly influenced by the principles of Zen Buddhism. It has its aesthetic that involves the principles of “wabi” and “sabi”. The traditional sado is not merely about drinking tea, it is a spiritual experience that represents harmony, purity, tranquility and balance.
Below, we have provided a list of chadogu (tea equipment) of different designs fit for different season/ occasion and other related gift ideas for non-ceremonial use. Check out below for more details.
(P/S: This article is little long as we give many examples. You may also click on the images for more details)
1. Tea Pot - used to heat up water for making tea. The pot is made of cast iron. You can get a simple solid color pot or a pot with oriental-feeling design.
2. Tea Bowl – used as container to hold hot water where green tea powder is whisked into thin paste. Tea bowl is available in different styles and sizes. Shallow bowls allow tea to cool rapidly (fit for summer) and deep bowls allow tea to stay warm longer (fit for winter).
3. Tea cup – used for drinking sencha (one of the most aromatic green teas). Tea cups are not used in traditional tea ceremony as it is too small to whisk the green tea.
4. Tea Set - is another great idea for tea lovers. The teapot comes with matching tea cups so it looks nice as a gift.
5. Tea whisk & Tea scoop – tea whisk is used to whisk the tea and tea scoop is used to scoop out the tea in correct proportion. Both are made of bamboo.
6. Container for Flower Arrangement – Chabana (simple flower arrangement ) is an important element of the decorations for tea ceremony. You can choose a container made of metal, ceramic, bamboo, or in basket form.
7. Hanging Scroll – Scroll with a chosen theme associated with a particular tea gathering plays a central role in tea ceremony. You can get a calligraphic scroll with words fit for a theme or a scroll that features painting of landscape like mountain or waterfall.
8. Tea-related Books – Books are always a great gift idea. You can get a book about the way of tea or philosophy of Zen Buddhism.
9. Other Reading Materials – Other than tea-related books, you can also get some light readings for tea lovers.
10. Music CD- The last give idea would be a relaxing and soothing music for tea lovers. He/ she would love to have this while enjoying his/ her cup of favorite tea.
That concludes our list of 10 gift ideas for tea lovers. Thanks for reading!
Follow us on Pinterest!